We're all on a quest to be healthier, happier and in better shape, but sometimes we just need to admit to ourselves that what would really bring us true happiness is a KFC bargain bucket and a big pile of fries. But for one 21-year-old from the UK, an endless KFC dependence was resulting in anything but happiness. Georgie Scotney from Portsmouth developed Selective Eating Disorder (SED) at a young age.
People with SED are only able to eat certain foods and become extremely distressed when such foods are not available to them. For the last three years, she has survived on KFC takeout, only deviating from her unusual meal plan with an occasional slice of toast or chocolate bar.
It was an upcoming trip around Asia with her boyfriend that really pushed her to make a change: "When we decided that we’d go travelling I knew that something needed to be done, we’re going for four months and I knew I wouldn’t be able to eat any of the food – I would have starved." Georgie decided to cure her eating disorder through hypnotherapy: "My boyfriend was the one who put me forward for the session and I was very sceptical, I warned everyone that I was so headstrong and thought that I'd never be able to change.”
The session has resulted in Georgie being able to eat fruit for the first time: "After the session everything changed for me instantly, I tried new foods that I wouldn’t have dreamed of even going near before – and I actually really enjoyed them. For about 15 years I’d always wanted to try a full English breakfast so the day after the therapy I did, and it was amazing. Never in my life had I eaten any fruit or veg and I’ve even managed to try a roast dinner now, I can’t believe that I missed out on so much. I’d always struggled with my weight, even though I’d go to the gym every day, because of my poor diet so I’m hoping now that I’ll be a lot healthier and happier."
If Georgie's after a more lasting cure for her KFC addiction, I suggest she watches the video on the next page. The footage shows what appears to be a large rat running loose in a KFC branch in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
KFC has since launched an investigation into the incident, saying: "We take the hygiene of our restaurants extremely seriously; we are investigating this incident as a matter of the utmost importance and can confirm that the restaurant has no history of issues of this kind."
If that wasn't enough to put you off KFC for life, I'd suggest you check out what happened when this man found a chicken's lung in his meal. It's probably one of the grossest things you'll see all day, so don't say I didn't warn you.