This X-ray of a boy’s throat shows why you should always cut up your kid’s food

I’m not quite there yet, but I can imagine that being a parent must be incredibly difficult. As well as giving up your time and energy to care for someone for nothing in return, seemingly every time you look away, your child is doing something that could really hurt themselves. I can barely remember to feed myself – how can I do it for someone else?

If the world’s population is anything to go by, it’s pretty apparent that not many people have this problem. Most kids grow up fine and unharmed, hoping to be the next big thing, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t a few close calls.

Below is an X-ray that shows a fully intact grape lodged in the throat of a five-year-old boy. This has recently served as a reminder of why you should always cut your child’s food for a lot of people. Australian blogger Angela Henderson shared the photo after the boy’s mom gave her permission to do so, in the hope of raising awareness.

Angela said: “please be mindful that not all kids chew their food, are in a rush at school to get in the playground, etc. Please be careful. And when in doubt just cut the damn grapes (and) baby tomatoes.” A task that will take less than 60 seconds, and could make all the difference.

X-ray of grape in boy's throat shows why you should chop children's food

Grapes are roughly as wide as young children’s airways, and many parents do not realise that they should be sliced in half lengthways. Angela explained that the boy in the X-ray needed an operation under general anaesthetic so the grape could be safely removed.

She added: “He is very lucky that part of his airway was open, or else this could have ended badly.” Because of this incident, parents have also been urged to chop up mini eggs and other chocolate treats in the run-up to Easter.

This hasn’t been the only odd thing found inside someone in recent news. Not too long ago, a doctor shared a truly gag-worthy story on medical podcast This Won’t Hurt A Bit, detailing the misadventures of one of his patients, who presented with bloody diarrhea and a five-foot tapeworm wrapped around a roll of toilet paper.

The lucky physician who got to see this in real life was Dr Kenny Bahn. A man came to him saying he had felt a bit sick for a while dealing with stomach cramps as well as the aforementioned bloody poop. After several trips to the bathroom, one, in particular, sent his stomach whirling, he reportedly told Dr Bahn.

It turned out he had pooped his own tapeworm out. The patient promptly pulled it out of his own bottom, telling Dr Bahn it was very much alive when he pulled it out. Bahn says he was initially skeptical when the guy asked for worming medication, but once he’d produced his grisly proof, the good doctor was more than happy to prescribe him the very same meds used to worm dogs. Yep, you read that right. Dogs.

The incident was the result of some poorly prepared sushi at his favorite restaurant. It goes to show, whether you’re at home or out and about, be careful what you put in your mouth.

More Stories From Food Envy