src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=436443283501309&ev=PageView&noscript=1"/> src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=489399874819336&ev=PageView&noscript=1"/>

Teenage Girl Is Left Blind After Attempting To Cook An Egg In The Microwave

Although most people prefer to cook their eggs on a stove, a lot of people will use a microwave if there aren't any other options available to them. Yes, despite the fact that eggs cooked in a microwave don't taste as good (in my humble opinion) as they would on a stove, it's quicker, easier, and more efficient. It's especially useful if you're, say, a college student living in a dorm room or perhaps have a craving for some poached egg while at work and have little else but a microwave at your disposal.

It can take as little as two minutes to cook your eggs using a microwave but despite how tempting it may sound to consistently use it as an alternative to a stove, it has emerged recently that this might not be as safe as you previously thought. In fact, it was simply cooking an egg in a microwave that led to one teenage girl losing sight in both her eyes when the egg exploded after she opened the microwave door.

Courtney Wood, from Newcastle, England is now warning people about the dangers of using microwaves - specifically to cook eggs - after an incident left her temporarily blind when an egg exploded in her face.

The 19-year-old has not yet regained sight in her left eye following the traumatic event which occurred the day after Christmas Day. As a result of the horrific incident, Wood endured a great deal of excruciating pain, as her skin began to blister almost immediately.

Wood, who works as a care assistant, is hoping to shed light on her story so that others are aware that this egg cooking method - one that she had used numerous times before - is not exactly full proof.

"On Boxing Day morning I was cooking myself some breakfast," she explained. "I had put some bacon under the grill and then I put an egg in a jug with a bit of water - as I have done before - and popped it in the microwave for a minute."

"The microwave didn't ping so I took the egg back out, popped it on the side and checked on the bacon. When I turned back towards the jug the egg exploded in my face."

Wood, who lives on her own, recalled how she began screaming following the explosion, running straight to the bathroom. She then splashed cold water on her face and was in such agony that she called a friend for help.

"By this point, I couldn't see and I was screaming in pain. My friend came round straight away and he called 111 who told me to go straight to A&E," she added.

Doctors at the Royal Stoke University Hospital prescribed morphine and applied a wet gauze. Luckily, Wood was also informed that the burns were superficial and wouldn't cause any permanent damage.

Doctors also, however, explained that she had scratched the surface of both her corneas but that her left eye was much worse than her right.

Following the A&E visit, Wood decided to stay with her mom, Tracy, for a couple of days.

"The sight in my right eye came back within 48 hours but I still can't see properly out of my left," she said. "I have eye drops and steroids and I have to go back to the eye clinic every day until my eyes have healed. Doctors have told me the sight in my left eye may not be restored for a week or maybe even longer."

"This was the worst pain I have ever suffered - it was horrific - and I would hate anyone else to have to go through what I have been through."

We can only imagine how difficult this ordeal must have been for Wood, especially given how unprepared she would have been for any sort adverse consequences, occurring simply as a result of performing a basic, everyday activity.

We wish her all the best for her health and recovery.