Whether you have them in milkshakes, smoothies or cream pies, there's a very good chance you've enjoyed the delicious taste of the banana. Despite the near ubiquity of the banana, there are some things you probably didn't know about the humble yellow fruit.
Did you know that the banana tree, for example, is not actually a tree, but a herb? That fact isn't particularly interesting, or... ripe, but there's plenty more banana-flavoured information I can let you in on that might just blow your mind.
1. As of 2016, it's illegal to seductively eat a banana on live stream in China
2. There are actually more trade restrictions on bananas than there are for AK47s
3. You can use the inside of a banana peel to polish a shoe
4. Human beings share about 60 percent of their DNA with bananas
5. Every edible version of the banana is actually a sterile mutant
6. We've bred nearly all of the seeds out of the modern banana
7. People tried to smoke bananas in the 60s to get high. It did not work
8. Bananas are the best-selling item at Walmart
9. A bunch of bananas is called a hand, while a single banana is known as a finger
10. The average American eats around 27 pounds' worth of bananas every year
There you have it! The humble banana doesn't like to say much, but it's been around for thousands of years, and its uses lie outside of a healthy snack or an effective weapon on Mario Kart. Maybe you can impart some of this new knowledge to your friends! It might be fruitful in making you more popular, but don't go bananas with it.